My head is like the Lord. It works in mysterious ways. - Me, 2008
Mooooving Right Along
Chewing the Cud. At first I'm reminded of a cow standing in a field chomping and drooling when I hear that phrase. Even so, for some reason I have a small love affair with the black and white bovine. You will find a clock and cell phone cradle that moo in my home, along with an assortment of holstein items. I don't remember how that collection was started, but it makes me happy looking at each piece and hearing the cell phone cradle moo when someone gets water from our refrigerator door. (That's another story.)
Chewing the cud is also an old phrase that means "rehashing", "pon-dering" or "talking". "The first recorded use of it in the allusive 'chatting' sense is in Henry Fielding's The History of Tom Jones, 1749", according to The Phrase Finder.
As cows make me smile, they also have that yucky chewing the cud thing going on. So it goes with my life. There are people, situations and days in my life that I love and really make me smile. There are also people, situations and days in my life that I'd like to chew up and spit out.
My blog version of chewing the cud is more along the pondering sense of the phrase. So you may see posts here that will put a smile on your face, but you will also see posts that you might not agree with and that irritate you. That's OK. I just wanted to let you know that this is not your "Everything's Coming Up Roses" kind of blog. This is more your "Some Days Are Stone" kind of blog. If you're OK with that, then read on and welcome to Chewing the Cud.
Asked to draw an icon of myself for an ice breaker activity at a meeting, my mind immediately went to the item I collect: cows. My next thought was, "No, that's silly. What overweight person in their right mind wants to relate themselves to a cow?!?" But I went for it realizing that I am indeed similar to the holstein cows that I, for some reason, find fascinating.
My attitude is one of "La-dee-da...whatever". I find myself more of a viewer than a participator and mull things over. A lot. Some might call that "chewing on my cud". I am perfectly happy to stand around and observe nature, swatting at a few flies now and then. My temperament is laid back and easy to get along with. But if you cross me, watch out. Someone told me years ago that they'd like to see me mad, just once. I told them, "No, you wouldn't. It's not pretty." And in all of that standing and chewing, I am trying my best to get along with the herd and provide for my family, which I love very much.
So there you have it. Call me a cow if you like. I'll take it any day.
Hello. Just goofing around trying to figure this thing out. It doesn't look much like the sample I selected, but oh, well. Obviously have no idea what I'm doing. Will publish it and see what happens.
No comments:
Post a Comment