Well, we finally got some much needed rain overnight. It began around 11:00 p.m. and just poured. Knowing it was to get down to 63 degrees before morning, I opened the bedroom window and listened to the rain pounding on the street and rustling the leaves on the trees. It was pure bliss. This morning I went to the front deck to see how much rain was in our gauge and my heart broke.
There was Sugar's Shower Flower broken half way down the stalk and hanging it's head over the side of the flower pot, rain dripping off it's petals like tears. I gasped, "Oh, no..." and took a look at the damage. The only thing to do was cut it off and place it in a vase with water. My little pruning scissors snipped it cleanly and I took Shower Flower in the house to be placed in a water-filled Fanta Orange pop bottle with the hope it will stay alive long enough for Sugar to see it on Sunday. Although, I'm not sure how she'll react.
This evening when I look at the first flower Sugar had tended from seed to a blooming flower taller then herself, I still want to shed a tear. Hopefully, the two remaining sunflowers will get stronger and bloom before too long and we'll have another Shower Flower to make us smile.
Oh, yeah. Three inches of rain.
| Sugar's "Shower Flower" ~ June 21, 2012 |
What a bummer! Poor shower flower.
ReplyDeleteWell, it sure looks pretty sitting on the chest in the livingroom, anyway. And it will live forever in your pictures. Well, done, grasshopper.
ReplyDelete