Sunday, April 25, 2010

Amarillo By Morning

Hubby and I went to Salina yesterday to bid farewell to my brother and Hubby's sister, who happen to be married to each other.  After 50 years of living in and around Salina and nearly 20 years of marriage, they are headed to Amarillo, TX for work.  The plant they both work in is going to close.  A victim of this recession we've all been surviving for two years.  A similar type of plant in Amarillo has government contracts and is hiring.  Others from the Salina plant left earlier and more are headed south in the near future.

So the extended family of their parents, children, granddaughter, brothers, sisters, nieces and nephews met for lunch at a local Pizza Hut.  Some of us went to Bro1's home and helped haul out some trash and did some visiting both before and after lunch.

I didn't quite know what to say as we were leaving.  We hugged and kissed and tears welled in my eyes.  I know it's not goodbye, but yet it is.  No longer will they be just 15 minutes from Mom and Dad's house and, therefore, able to come see us when we go home for a visit.  It's not that we go home so often, but it's the knowledge of the possibility, the ease of seeing them when we do.  I'll miss the comfort of that closeness.

The gang at Pizza Hut
April 24, 2010

Sis-in-law, great niece, Bro1, niece-to-be and nephew

No comments:

Post a Comment