Friday, April 16, 2010

Technology in the office

Thoughts on April 16, 2010

  • Cell phones in the office.  With my director's permission years ago, I posted a sign on our office door asking guests to respect our work environment and please, turn off their cell phones before entering.  As with everything in print, some can read and some can't.  My student assistant staff is also instructed to put their phones on vibrate and in their backpacks when they arrive for work.  They can check for messages, but they are there to work, not to gab or text. Staff seem to think this is not meant for them and will have their cell phones on their desks.  It's hard to get the student assistants to keep theirs put away when they don't have a good example to follow.
  • Cell phones in the bathroom.  Do people really need to be told that using their phones in a restroom is rude?  I don't want my bathroom duties transmitted over someone's phone lines to the love of their lives.
  • Cell phones in meetings.  If you can't be away from your phone long enough to give the meeting your full attention, then don't attend and send someone else who can give it their full attention.
  • Texting during meetings.  Ditto above.
  • Texting your kids.  I'm guilty, but really, this is silly.  Why don't you just call the kids.  This is a phone after all.  And I bet they'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment