Leaving campus today, I headed down the main boulevard. You've got to be careful. Busses are weaving in and out of traffic. Students cross the street in crosswalks or not. They are, they think, exempt from all traffic laws. Last week I was behind two busses that pulled over in a bus stop area. Luckily for the student that darted out between the two busses instead of walking to the crosswalk some ten feet away, I saw her before she got in front of my car.
Today a couple of students were headed to the crosswalk from the building in which I work. Across the street was a young man wearing dark sunglasses following a guide dog. All stopped to make sure I was going to stop for them, which I did as I appreciated the fact they were using the crosswalk. As the dog led the blind student off of the curb and into the street, the student raised his hand and waved his appreciation towards me. And I smiled at him as I waved back.
Then I thought of what I'd done and chuckled at the knee-jerk reaction to wave after being waved at...knowing he was unable to see me wave back.
I'd have probably done the same thing. It's a natural reaction to the his wave. But what would you have done if he had flipped you off?
ReplyDelete