When I returned to work Tuesday from a four-day weekend, my Outlook email account reminded me of a birthday I'd missed on Saturday. So I emailed this guy I worked with at a travel agency for a few years in the early 1990's, and wished him a belated Happy Birthday. We caught up on family, work, etc. and decided we should keep in touch on Facebook.
My travel agency co-workers and I had a great working relationship and me, the goof I
am, would prank unsuspecting co-workers every
once in awhile. You know, taping desk drawers shut or changing the wording in a travel itinerary to make it sound as if the VIP cruise was nothing but a drunken party. I still hear from my supervisor at the travel agency a few times a year including birthdays and Christmas and goofy email forwards. When it comes down to it, I enjoyed that job and
the people. Anyway, concluding his email reply, the birthday guy said we should visit more often.
Then, following the closing, he added this: "P.S. Corresponding with you is like writing an old English Teacher a letter."
What the heck? Old? I'm only three years older than he is. English Teacher? I'm not sure just what that means. My English teacher was "different" and, on more than one occasion, crowed and strutted around like Chanticleer the rooster of "Chanticleer and the Fox" fable fame. Me, I'm the quiet, reserved, type and am uncomfortable drawing attention to myself.
Personally, when I think of an "old English teacher", for some reason a vision of Aunt Bee of Mayberry fame comes to mind. While wearing dresses like the 1950's farmers wives wore, with knee-high hose rolled around my ankles and black, leather, tie-up shoes on my feet is a goal of mine in retirement, I'm not there yet.
Maybe this "young" man respected and liked his English teacher; throughout his 12 years of schooling, she was his favorite teacher; and I remind him of her with my easy-going, grammatically correct, spot-on punctuation and spelling, and all-around, nearly perfect, writing style. Yeah. That's it.
Maybe this "young" man respected and liked his English teacher; throughout his 12 years of schooling, she was his favorite teacher; and I remind him of her with my easy-going, grammatically correct, spot-on punctuation and spelling, and all-around, nearly perfect, writing style. Yeah. That's it.
"dresses like the 1950's farmers wives wore, with knee-high hose rolled around my ankles and black, leather, tie-up shoes" -- That's hot...
ReplyDelete