Wednesday, August 22, 2012

On Becoming A Jayhawk ~ Traditions Night at KU ~ August 18, 2012


Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, KU!  Waving the wheat.  The Fight Song clap.  The Alma Mater.  KU Traditions all.  And during Hawk Week, a week-long welcome for new students, these traditions are shared and taught to new students at Traditions Night.

Not being a graduate of The University of Kansas, I feel like an intruder at some KU events.  Specifically when students put their arms around each others shoulders and sway, like a field of wheat, to the Alma Mater.  Having worked in the New Student Orientation office (now the Office of First-Year Experience) for 13 years, I've been asked year after year if I was going to attend Traditions Night, one of our Hawk Week traditions.  I'd never attended, for the reason stated at the beginning of this paragraph. (That and I moved 20 some miles away from campus nine years ago.)  Only because I'm a proud parent of a KU graduate, a Jayhawk fan, and a university employee do I have stock in the KU time-honored traditions.  There is no diploma hanging on my office wall.

This year, one of the Orientation Coordinators/Orientation Assistants/Student Assistants (he's worn all of those hats) asked if I was going to attend. "Nah, I don't think so."  "Oh, but you should.", he stated.  "It's going to be my last one."  Well, I thought, it's Saturday evening.  I don't have anything else to do.  But it would mean another 20+ mile drive, one way, coming home in the dark by myself.  "I'll think about it.", was my response...again.  And I did think about it.  Saturday evening I put on my Hawk Week t-shirt and headed to Traditions Night. 

When I arrived at the stadium, several Orientation staff greeted me with hello's and hugs and "You came!'s".  Including the Orientation Coordinator that had reminded me it would be his last Traditions Night.  I found my seat down in the third row on the 50 yard line with the rest of the orientation staff and some other whoop-ti-dos. We heard the history of the Rock Chalk Chant from the writer's granddaughter.  We waved the wheat.  We were taught the Fight Song clap.  We met the 1912 Jayhawk and welcomed the creator of the 1946 (and current) Jayhawk.  We heard from Dr. James Naismith's grandson.  Heck, even Dr. Naismith made an appearance carrying the peach basket with which he invented the game of basketball.  We sang the Alma Mater, finishing with the Rock Chalk chant.  And we stood as one, arms wrapped around each others shoulders, swaying in proud Jayhawk glory.

Moral of the story: Being a Jayhawk does not require taking K.U. classes OR receiving a  a diploma.  It's an attitude that includes pride in and love of The University of Kansas which makes you a member of the K.U. family and a Jayhawk.

Getting the show started with some Phi Beta Sigma fraternity steppin'.
"Dr. James Naismith" and his grandson.
Big Jay and Baby Jay rush to hug their creator, Hal Sandy.
Just part of the Traditions Night participants, including Orientation staff.
It takes concentration to get that Fight Song Clap down.  I'm still learning.
"Let's take some pictures!"  It's fun keeping me occupied until the surprise shows up.

 "People come and go so quickly around here."  Red Shirt's last day on staff.

I was asked to take some photos of the Orientation Assistants cleaning.  OK....

The surprise!  His girlfriend (my former student assistant of four years)
returns from Texas!  Time for another picture!
I'm a Jayhawk!  Learn the lyrics and clap to the KU Fight Song.

No comments:

Post a Comment