November 6 will find me in Rapid City, South Dakota, attending a NASPA IV-West conference. Does that date ring any bells? It's election day. For the first time in my voting life, I won't be traveling to my local voting spot and going through the "Yes, I'm registered. No, look under the "M's". Blahblah is my first name. Here's my registration card. See, first name, last name. Yes, there I am." conversation with a delightful, slightly rattled, older woman named Eunice.
No, this year I've completed an advance voting ballot. Yep. I selected my own pen, talked to my husband about items on the ballot, and filled in those little ovals at my own desk. There was no hurry to get home from work to go vote, no waiting in line, no walk by booths occupied by shins and shoes, no curtain surrounding me, and, sadly, no "I voted" sticker. It was a bit odd.
While I have a pessimistic view of our government and wonder if there is ANY man or woman who can lead us out of this mess before I die, I do have a say in who the President of the United States is. I can complain or cheer whatever decisions or statements are made by our next President...or Vice President, as sometimes happens...because I voted. With one little blackened oval I made my choice. There is pride to be had in voting. I hope you will vote in the November 6 election, too.
| My ballot is inside, ready to be mailed. ~ October 24, 2012 |
No comments:
Post a Comment