Monday, June 02, 2014

The Things Sugar Says


On the way to the zoo Sunday, the now 5-year-old granddaughter surprised her Dad and I with the following comment out of the blue, from the back seat:

"Sometimes babies are born dead."  What the heck?  Her Dad and I looked at each other, wide-eyed.

After a moment of complete shock, I said, "Yes, Sugar, that sometimes happens."

"Mee Maws brother came out dead," she continued.  Where is this coming from?  Her Dad and I were glued to her every word.

"Oh, Sugar, that's so sad," I sympathized.

"Well, you know Jesus," Sugar replied matter-of-factly.  Her Dad and I chuckled, surprised at the tone of her response.

"Yes, I do", I said.

"Jesus comes back alive once a year," Sugar continued.  Geez, where is this conversation going?

"Oh.  And what does Jesus do on that one day?", I asked.

Sounding as if she'd had enough of my questioning, Sugar quickly replied, "I don't know.  I think he makes people better."

And thus ended our conversation.  To all of the parents who have suffered through this terrible loss of life, I apologize.  However, coming from a five-year-old, it was completely innocent and, terribly funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment