We were sitting at a little table in a small restaurant in the country, Hubby and I. The walls were white. The kitchen, whose wall we were leaned up against, was at the back and at the front, out the door, was a screened in porch. Our little poodle-mix, Maggie, was with us. The waitress arrived and took our order. I watched her and my husband exchange glances. After taking our order to the kitchen, she quickly walked through the restaurant and exited out the front door.
Within seconds, Hubby decided Maggie needed to go outside and out the front door they went. No fool am I. I followed him out and found he and the waitress standing close together chatting; her back against the restaurant wall. I asked why Hubby needed to take the dog out and turned around to see her look at him with hands in the air, palms up, asking why I was out there. I said, "I'm not stupid. I know what's going on. You're having an affair, aren't you?" No denials.
Next thing I know, I have them both flat on their backs, cheek to cheek, me kneeling on top of them, banging their heads together between my knees. (Hmmm..."I'll knock some heads together." A favorite empty threat from my childhood.) After they were allowed to get up, they had the audacity to kiss quite passionately. I walked up to them screaming about what miserable people they were, slugging them with my fists and called her a whore. With one last insult, I dumped a bowl of coleslaw, complete with carrots, over their heads and down their faces. Then I woke up.
This dream rolled through my head this morning after my two alarms had gone off. Why? What makes me dream such things? This is not my first Hubby-had-an-affair dream. If I had to name a recurring dream of recent years, that would be it. Not drowning. Not falling. Not monsters like the purple polka dotted leopard or the gnomes around the hole in my parent's bedroom doorway dreams of my childhood. Cheating.
I believe I know why I have them, but there is no reason to think there is any merit to these dreams. Hubby has told me over and over that his world revolves around me. I know that he loves me. And I love him more than chocolate and the Jayhawks. So I hope I can put these dreams to rest. Besides, Hubby knows if he cheated on me he'd have a lot more to worry about than coleslaw.
2019 in Review
6 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment