Tuesday was a busy day. It began with two and a half hours at work. I then left the office for a mid-day doctor's appointment. After fifty-five minutes of waiting and twenty minutes with the doctor, I headed for home. Hubby and I played with the granddaughter for a bit and then I began getting ready to head to BHS, where I graduated from high school. Little Sister's two daughters were going to be playing volleyball in a tournament against two other teams: both my high school and Hubby's high school, LHS. One of the nieces is a senior and I wanted to see her play before she graduated. BHS was the closest they'd get to us, so I whined and whimpered until Hubby gave in to my wish.
Little Sister had reminded me Monday evening that the girls were playing at BHS, but I didn't tell her that we were going to be in attendance. When we arrived at the gym I called Little Sister and asked where she was. She asked if we were there. I said "Yes" and she said "Seriously?" We'd pulled off the surprise and she was genuinely glad we were there.
We joined the PVille fans in the stands, me in my PVille VB shirt which I had ordered and just received a couple of weeks ago in anticipation of attending this game. The PVille team started the first game with quite a statement, leading 15 - 3 or so. Next thing we knew, the game was tied. The PVille girls pulled it out, got it together and in the end, beat both BHS and LHS soundly.
Both nieces did a super job. SP, a sophomore, kept the ball in play once with a flying dive; her arm extended fully with the fist hitting the ball back to a teammate. She also got in a few "kills", known in 1975 as spikes which is a much more civilized term to use in a game. And SP smiled. A lot. The senior rarely sat on the bench and is one of PVille's star players. KP got in her kills, too. And I think her kills could literally kill you. In fact, in a previous game, she gave an opponent a concussion with a hit to the head. Just the sound of the hit makes me cringe; the ball is coming down with such force. Anyway, the move that I remember and was most impressed with was the "fooled you" kill. KP went to the net, jumped and had her arm and hand poised to slam that ball down the opponent's throat. I held my breath and waited for the explosion. Just at the moment she'd have smacked that volleyball, she let up and gave it a kiss with her fingertips, just poofing the ball over the net and fooling the BHS Bulldog on the other side. Point! Smile! Sweet!
Granddaughter spent the evening making friends with a 2 year old girl in front of us, eating Apple Jacks, sharing a KitKat with her Great Grandma and bashfully warming up to her Great Granddad and Great Aunt. (Mom and Dad were also surprised by our attendance, but managed to pay our way in anyway.) Hubby watched the game and enjoyed his non-sports-fan-self, even if he doesn't like to admit it. My other sister knew we were going, but her daughter was playing vb at another school in the area and that game didn't get over until the PVille games were nearly done. So we got to visit with her for a short time before heading home.
Carrying such a precious passenger that distance made me nervous, so I was relieved when we safely delivered our sleeping Granddaughter into her Daddy's anxious arms. We crawled into bed around 11 p.m. I'd had such a good time watching the nieces play volleyball, spending time with Granddaughter, my family, and Hubby that as we said good night I made sure I thanked Hubby for indulging me once again. He's a sweetie.
2019 in Review
6 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment