Thursday, January 20, 2011

Snow!

Anyone who knows me, knows that I love a good snow.  I have always thought it's almost magical watching the white flakes fall and cover the ground ever so quietly.  The air has a different quality to it: it's invigorating and smells wintry and cold.  It seems, until last year, we'd been on the short end of the stick for snowfalls.  I'd whine about it and get upset with weathermen when they would forecast five or six inches of snow, only to have the storm go north of I-70 or south of I-70 or weaken before it got this far.  Last year we made some strides and ended up with 26" of snow by this time in January.  It was great!  However, actually having a beautiful, white, ten inches of snow on Christmas ruined plans for spending the day with family and we almost missed being with our granddaughter on her first Christmas.

My footprint in the 8" snowfall of January 19, 2011.

This year the snow has fallen a little later than last year, but in the two snowfalls we've had this winter, they've both left us with eight inches of snow.  The official snowfall amount for yesterday's storm in TTown is 8.7".   The snow began falling at 12:23 p.m. and continued until nearly 11:30; eleven hours.  That makes a little over 16" of snow in January, in just ten days. 

Hubby shoveling our drive.  I took over after this scoopful.
All of this beautiful snow does make for some problems:  1)  It took me two hours to get home yesterday evening. 2)  I've stayed home the day after both snowfalls because I don't see the need to drive 35 miles to work on snow packed roads; for that I have to use vacation time.  3)  Someone has to shovel our sidewalk and driveway.

Campus was finally closed at 4:00 p.m.  This mess ensued.
Tomorrow, it's back to work for one day and then the weekend.   They're predicting another two to five inches of snow on Sunday.  Ahhh...winter!

Me and Hubby getting ready to shovel that beautiful snow!











































No comments:

Post a Comment