Sunday, November 20, 2011

An Evening with the Granddaughters


As Sugar told me twice this evening, "You have two granddaughters."  Why, yes, I do.  And both were here for our family Sunday.  Sugar is doing real well sharing her Gamma, but she has moments when I'm not too sure she really wants to share me with Spice.

For instance, Sugar wanted on my lap a couple of times while I was holding Spice.  As I headed to the bedroom to change Spice's diaper, Sugar wanted me to carry her as well as Spice.  When we left the bedroom, she practically jumped up on my empty hip.  A bit later, Spice was getting tired, and as I stood up to take her to the kitchen to pace and pat her back, Sugar asked where I was going.  I told her and she said, "I want to come, too.  Pease, Gamma,", with arms stretched up to me and those big brown eyes adding to the pleading.  "Oh, sweetie," I said.  "I can't hold both of you at the same time." and it broke my heart to see her little sad face.  Aunt B came to the rescue and held Sugar while I sang "You Are My Sunshie" to Spice.

Spice - Still not too sure of this silver box at the end of Gamma's arm.

Spice saw her Mommy and decided she'd rather snuggle with Mommy, so Mommy took Spice and I picked Sugar up.  She laid her head on my shoulder and said, "Sing Sunshine to me."  And I did.  A few minutes later we went to a rocking chair that belonged to my grandma, and we rocked as I sang.  Sugar was asleep in a few minutes.

Sugar has enjoyed my undivided attention until Spice joined the family.  I must say I had wondered how this would play out.  I make a special effort to be sure I include Sugar when Spice is visiting.  Sugar's my little shadow and helps me with every diaper change.  I sit with the girls when Sugar wants to hold Spice.  I invite Sugar to sit on my lap with I'm holding Spice.  Those are special times.

Spice recognizes Sugar and smiles and laughs and grabs at her cousin.  I told Gampa this evening, one of these days those two girls will be so busy playing with each other, they'll have no need for their old grandparents.  No more "Uppy, uppy" or wanting to sit on my lap together.  In the meantime, I hope Sugar knows I love her as much as ever.  I also hope Spice knows, as much as any five month old can know, that her Gamma loves her, too.  There is more than enough love in this ol' Gamma's heart for my two granddaughters.

Sugar - Enjoying some alone time with Gamma.

No comments:

Post a Comment