Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Sharing


Sugar, at age one and a half or so, put me on a diet.  This was not intentional.  No, she simply decided she wanted to eat her meals on my lap and from my plate.  This went on for several months, every time Sugar and her Dad and Mom came to eat with us.  Seriously, that's the only reason I can come up with that I dropped ten pounds.  Sugar wouldn't eat what she had on her plate even though it was the same thing I had to eat.  No, whatever Gamma was eating most certainly had to be better than what she had been served.  I, of course, ate it up.  (Pardon the pun.)  It was so sweet to have Sugar want to sit on my lap and share my food.  No matter that I didn't get to eat.  Sugar was happy and so was I.

A poor memory keeps me from remembering just how long this communal meal sharing went on.  Not long enough, though, for the ten pounds have snuck back on my frame.  However, the diet may be returning.

Yesterday Gampa made a delicious broccoli cheese soup for supper.  Sugar dipped a finger in it, declared it "tasty" and began to enjoy her supper. She then added a handful of saltines to her soup.  Unfortunately, that was not to her liking.  But Gamma's soup was!  She wrapped her little hand around the spoon handle and dug into my bowl for a spoonful of cheesy goodness.  I pulled her chair close to mine and we began sharing our supper.  Up until the point she spit out a chewed bite of tree (broccoli) back into our soup, we were making progress towards a happy bowl!

This Gamma is not going to complain about sharing my food with my granddaughter.  Not at all.  First, she's eating.  She's two and a half and doesn't eat much saying, "I'm not hungry." or "I don' like it." or "I'm done" after about six bites, if that.  Second, I think it's sweet she wants to share my meals.  We talk about how good the food is and make faces at each other.  Heck, last night Sugar fed me a few bites of soup and I got a cheesy broccoli-faced kiss.  That doesn't happen every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment