Friday, October 14, 2011

Advanced Reading


We've been reading to Sunshine since she was an infant.  Some of her favorites are "Barnyard Dance", "Spring" and "Grandma Loves Me".  Full-color story board books.  I especially like the rhyme and rhythm of "Barnyard Dance".  We've read and read these books and Sunshine can help "read" them from memory.

Sunshine reads "Jigsaw Farm" - another favorite - 1 year old
 "Go Away, Dog" joined the favorites list several months ago.  It's a story about a boy who meets a dog in a park and doesn't particularly like dogs.  This book has real pages that I'd have to turn by wetting a fingertip.  I didn't know Sunshine was paying so much attention to that action until reading "Find Jayhawk" in the reading room last week.  (Yes, she wanted a book in the reading room like Gamma and Daddy.)  She was ready to turn the page and it just wasn't cooperating.  So up went three chubby little fingers to her tongue and viola! the page was turned. 

Recently her daddy bought her some more advanced, chapter books for kids aged 7 and up including "The Story of Doctor Doolittle" and "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland".  These books are illustrated with black and white drawings. As Daddy was reading to Sunshine, she announced that this book wasn't any good because it doesn't have pictures.


Sunshine is advancing quickly in her choice of reading material.  Tuesday evening I was sitting in my rocking chair and she wanted me to read her a book.  She went to the bookshelf just beside my chair and asked, "What do you want to read, Gamma?"  I pointed at Debbie Macomber's "1022 Evergreen Place".  The Cedar Cove series is a favorite of mine and I've shared it with several cousins who also devoured the books.  "OK.", she said. Then Sunshine grabbed Janet Evanovich's "Hot Six" from the stack and handed it to me with this comment, "Here, Gamma, this is simple." 

OK, miss schmarty pants.  That will be enough from you!

P.S.  Wednesday she asked Gampa to read her a story and handed him "1022 Evergreen Place".  She listened to two pages before moving on to something more interesting to a two and a half year old.  ;-)


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:10 PM

    Good thing she's getting to a point where she'll be able to read to Gampa.

    ReplyDelete