Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Science Lesson?


It's Wednesday and that means I get to spend the morning with Spice, who is now four months old.  I know, where does the time go?  Spice and I went outside as her parents were leaving for work and classes.  After goodbye kisses and waving as Mommy and Daddy drove down the street, Spice and I walked up and down the sidewalk and driveway for awhile.

For some reason, Spice loves being outside.  I've mentioned before her love of the 100+ degree temperatures and how we'd stroll in the shade, with Gamma hoping for a breeze.  She also seems to enjoy the fall temperatures.  Something we have in common.  This morning it was around 50 degrees, so I had the yellow and lavender baby blanket Aunt Sarah made for her wrapped around her from earlobes to tip toes.  Spice was comfy as she rested on my shoulder.

As we walked, I talked to her about fall: the cool weather, the beautiful yellow tree across the street, the sun rising in the east over the neighbor's house.  Spice was enthralled with this science lesson and I swear, was looking at the beautiful yellow tree as I chatted away.

Then we walked to the tree on the west side of their driveway.  I'm not sure what type of tree it is, but the leaves are heart-shaped.  I took Spice right up to the tree and put her little tiny hand on one of the leaves.  She hesitated a bit and grabbed at a leaf, tugging and tightening her grip as she pulled.  Then she brushed her hand across a couple of the leaves.  Being on the dry side, they rustled a bit and Spice liked that sound.  She even smiled a bit as she ran her hand across the leaves again.  On we went to the oak tree and to the bean pod tree (for lack of the correct name).  Again, Spice reached out, grabbed and felt the texture of the leaves in her hand.

Watching Spice play with the leaves brought a smile to my face.  It's never too early to begin an appreciation of small pleasures and the gifts of nature.

1 comment: