Monday, February 13, 2012

Our First Snow of Winter!


Finally!  We woke this morning to two inches of beautiful, white snow.  It's the first snow of winter.  Unbelievable, I know.  But with that snow came a treacherous drive to work on the turnpike.  A blade had never touched the pavement in my 36 mile commute.  It was down to one partly-clear lane in the two-lane section and two partly-clear lanes in the three-lane area.  And, of course, everyone was trying to get an early start, so there was a line of traffic ahead and behind me the entire drive.  I hate that closeness in particular!

My top speed was 55 during a short, mysterious, mile-long stretch where the entire width of highway was wet, but completely clear of snow.  Most of the time I was at 40 mph or less.  Even then, I fish-tailed numerous times.  That is not normal for driving in snow for me.  I've done it all my life and know how to maneuver a vehicle through that beautiful stuff.  However, today I felt as if I were driving through that six inch snow of a year ago where I turned around and went back home.

I am beginning to think I need to stay home everytime it snows and it sticks to the ground.  Yep.  Snow is for making snowmen, snowballs and snow angels.  Not slopping snow under under tires, slipping around corners, getting stuck and making my knuckles white.




No comments:

Post a Comment