My boss's husband writes a food blog and has for quite some time. I check it out every once in awhile to see what he's tossed together for his family to feast on recently. Some of the dishes I have heard about at work; good and bad. Today his blog's title is "Honoring My Father" and begins: "My father passed away last night." If I remember right, it has not been but about a month since his father was diagnosed with cancer. Last week he'd been told he would have between six weeks and eight months, depending on whether or not he continued treatment. He went home on Monday. Thursday evening he decided no more treatment. Friday he died.
So my father, my kid's father and my granddaughter's father have been on my mind nearly every minute since I read that blog. I think how lucky I am to still have my Dad. How lucky my kids are to have their Dad and how lucky my Granddaughter is to have her Dad. They're all wonderful Dads in their own way. One couldn't wait to become a Dad and was totally in awe watching his daughter receive her first bath. One made a living working nights and didn't see his kids as much as other fathers do, but he made a camper and took his kids camping. One built a space ship and a doll house and is there whenever they call...or text. All three show love in different ways. One is not so big on hugs. One told his daughter "I love you" for the first time in her memory about 28 years ago. One hugs and kisses his daughter frequently. One gives gas money to his adult kids. One cooks for his kids several times a month. One sings oldies with his daughter.
Hubby with his daughter and son
Father's Day ~ 2010
Hopefully we will all have more than six weeks to eight months to be with each other. But nothing is guaranteed. While my boss and her family will be mourning the loss of their father, I'll be celebrating the fact that I still have my father, my kids have their father and my granddaughter has her father. Life goes by quickly. Spend time together. Laugh together. Hug each other. We need to appreciate and love our fathers while we can.
Son and his daughter
Father's Day ~ 2010


No comments:
Post a Comment