Thursday, May 10, 2012

It's Pun Thursday


"It's Pun Thursday!"  That's my post on Facebook every Thursday.  Or at least when I see the Outlook reminder I had to set up to jog my memory.  Since I began keeping count, I've made 58 such entries on my FB page.  It's probably closer to a year and a half ago that I started Pun Thursday, but some weeks, as mentioned, I've forgotten. 

Reactions are mixed.  Some "friends" comment on the puns with "LOL" or "That's a good one." or "Groan".  One warned my friends not to encourage me after a pun received lots of positive replies.  Co-workers of a cousin of mine ask for the weekly pun.  And there are the lurkers; quietly enjoying the puns and telling me to keep it up by way of private messages or email or one-on-one conversations or even submitting their own pun.  Sometimes long lists of puns.  If one is used, they are given "Guest Contributor" credit.  Only a few are my original puns.

It has been said puns are the lowest form of humor, which I've never understood.  Most of them crack me up.  And I take some pleasure knowing I'm in some great company.  From Wikipedia (take it or leave it):  "Puns have long been used by comedy writers, such as William Shakespeare, Oscar Wilde, and George Carlin."  Furthermore, Wikipedia says, "Puns are used to create humor and sometimes require a large vocabulary to understand."  Well, I don't know about a large vocabulary, but I can twist a word once in awhile.  Sometimes making my husband blush.

And with that, here's a pun for you that was a little too risque for my FB page.  It was sent in my my youngest sister.  Ready?

Without nipples, boobs would be pointless.

Pointless.  Get it???  Bwahahaha!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:31 PM

    I believe the saying goes, "A pun is the lowest form of humor; especially if the other guy thinksof it first."

    ReplyDelete