Last week I heard on Kansas Public Radio, 91.5 on my dial, they were going to broadcast "A Midsummer Night's Dream" in OP. OP being the original pronunciation from Shakespeare's time. For some reason that intrigued me and it had been in the back of my mind and on my Outlook calendar since then. It aired last night and I tuned in on the computer a little before 7:00 p.m.
I remembered reading "The Scarlet Letter" years ago and how my brain felt as if it were twisting like a Kansas tornado around the odd language trying to make sense of it all. So I decided to give my brain a little assistance and found a website to read as I was listening to the play. I think I've got it! About 10 minutes into the production something happened to the sound. Nothing but dead air. Dang it!
I hollered at my IT guy (Hubby) who was unable to fix it fast enough for me, so I headed to the bedroom and turned on the radio station. By that time I'd missed 10 minutes of the play and was a bit lost. After the IT guy called me back to the computer, I caught up quickly, but am still not sure just what takes place in this play. What was Willy smoking?
It seems two pair of friends with benefits are frolicking around in the forest, the males quarreling over the affections of the females. While they are sorting this out, a group of blue-collar men put on a play of their own that involves a male in a female role and one impersonating a lion. There is also a "Romeo and Juliet" scene where a guy and gal impale themselves on swords in a comical he's dead/she's dead bit. To add to the confusion, at some point we find ourselves with Puck and his merry band of fairies who trick some (probable) blonde into fawning over an ass. That's in 'donkey'. In the end, the king and queen of this odd land throw a party and engage in jollity and merriment followed by a happy ending.
Honestly, I did enjoy listening to this play. I don't believe I'd read it before. However, I must admit, I was wishing I'd have read it before my kids were born. Talk about your "different" names. How about Lysander and Peaseblossom? Or Egeus and Thisbe? Are they really any better or worse than Horace and Jahssie?
I'll leave you with my favorite part: listening to Oberon sing. Here are the last words of his song:
"And each several chamber bless,
Through this palace, with sweet peace;
And the owner of it blest
Ever shall in safety rest.
Trip away; make no stay;
Meet me all by break of day."
I would not have been happy being named Peaseblossom. I'll stick with Bethany, TYVM. ;)
ReplyDeleteNo matter how much I still tease about your name, I do love the name we chose for you. <3
Delete