The drive to work this morning included a fly-by. But not a Blue Angel or a pig. I was driving my normal route to work listening to 91.5 KPR, the local public radio station, in between replays of a dream about my cousin and her football coach husband who, while we took our crock pots of chili to their car after a reunion, was ranting about a play a referee had blown during their game. (I dunno...) Two cars were behind me as I neared the crest of a hill just before a big valley marked 'deer crossing'. As usual, I had been scanning the fields left and right for deer, as I've seen several along that particular stretch of highway over the years and I know they can come out of seemingly nowhere.
Then, out of my good left eye, I saw movement. Something was flying right at the van! I turned my head and saw a turkey, yes, a turkey, coming at me like a cannonball, headed right across the hood. Not a foot from the windshield. The dang thing went from driver's side to passenger side, clipping the antenna, but not breaking it off. I don't remember seeing it flap it's wings even once, but I suppose she was in such a hurry to get across the road, her wings were moving too fast for the human eye to see.
My first thought can't be published. My second thought was I was lucky she didn't hit the windshield. My third thought was I maybe should have slowed down, but there were those cars behind me. And my final thought was, "Dang. I wish I'd have had my camera ready."
No comments:
Post a Comment